The benefits to club members:
1. Forces members to step beyond their comfort zone.
2. Offers a forum to speak outside of the club.
3. Provides members with an opportunity to test their skill against others.
4. Injects a large dose of pride and confidence in contestants.
5. Illustrates that there's more to Toastmasters than the weekly meeting.
The benefits to the club:
1. Creates an opportunity to invite outside guests.
2. Increases membership when guests enjoy the event.
3. Helps current members set goals and rejuvenate their enthusiasm.
4. Providers a unique leadership opportunity to run the contest.
5. Contributes to attaining "Distinguished Club" status.